JOB OFFER: POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE / RESEARCH FELLOW IN NONLINEAR PHOTONICS
PHLAM, CNRS-UNIVERSITY OF LILLE 1
VILLENEUVE D’ASCQ, FRANCE
Within the framework of NoAWE (Nonlinear dynamics of Abnormal Wave Events) project funded by the French national research agency (ANR), the Photonics group of the PHLAM research institute at the University of Lille 1 currently has a vacancy for a postdoctoral position working in the study of extreme events in different branches of science, with particular emphasis on nonlinear optics and laser physics. The
focus is mainly on two processes, namely Rogue Waves (RW), that is the generation of waves of unexpectedly high amplitude, and Dispersive Shock Waves (DSW), that is the evolution of steep fronts towards a discontinuity (wave breaking), followed by a regularization through fast oscillations. RW and DSW are quite ubiquitous phenomena in nonlinear physics and they are encountered in several physical settings, the most known being fluid dynamics and oceanography.
The purpose of the project is twofold. First, it aims at a theoretical description of extreme events in different physical settings, to give a unified view of these phenomena. Second, it is aimed to exploit the unique test-bed offered by nonlinear optics and photonics, to experimentally analyze these processes in an easier and safer way with respect, for example, to oceanography.
The candidate must have a Ph. D in Physics or a related discipline, published research, extensive experience in theoretical and/or experimental nonlinear optics and laser physics, knowledge in nonlinear dynamics and experience with numerical simulations and theoretical modelling.
Further information on the PHLAM research institute can be found at http://phlam2.univ-lille1.fr/
Complementary information on the research project can be found with the following references:
1. M. Conforti, S. Trillo, “Radiative effects driven by shock waves in cavity-less four-wave mixing combs”, Optics Letters, vol. 39, pp. 5760-5763, 2014.
2. S. Malaguti, M. Conforti, S. Trillo, “Dispersive radiation induced by shock waves in passive resonators”, Optics Letters, vol. 39, pp. 5626-5629, 2014.
3. F. Baronio, M. Conforti, A. Degasperis, S. Lombardo, M. Onorato, S. Wabnitz, “Vector rogue waves and baseband modulation instability in the defocusing regime”, Physical Review Letters, vol. 113, pp. 034101(1-5), 2014.
4. M. Conforti, A. Mussot, A. Kudlinski, S. Trillo, “Modulational instability in dispersion oscillating fiber ring cavities”, Optics Letters, vol. 39, pp. 4200-4203, 2014.
5. M. Conforti, S. Trillo, “Dispersive wave emission from wave breaking”, Optics Letters, vol. 38, pp. 3815-3818, 2013.
6. F. Baronio, M. Conforti, A. Degasperis, S. Lombardo, “Rogue waves emerging from the resonant interaction of three waves”, Physical Review Letters, vol. 111, pp. 114101(1-4), 2013.